Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What I Baked at Home

One of the things I love most about going home is getting to spend time in the kitchen with my mom. She instilled my love of cooking at an early age. I remember sitting at the counter doing my homework and putting down my pencil to stir a pot or grate some cheese. Last week I took full advantage of being home and made something just about everyday.
My dad and I share a love for frozen cookie dough, so that was the first thing I made when I got home. Don't ask my why/how we started eating frozen cookie dough in the first place but it is our go to dessert. I can't remember the last time I actually baked chocolate chip cookies! 

No trip home would be complete without pimento cheese and cheese biscuits. My dad's birthday is coming up and instead of presents I decided to make some of his favorite things. By Sunday, I think his waistline was ready for me to leave. 

I knew I wanted to make pasta for my family since they have heard me talk about it so much. I carried my pasta maker attachment in my carry-on and made spaghetti noodles which we served with shrimp and a white wine reduction sauce. I can only imagine what the TSA agents thought when they x-rayed my bag!

My kitchen is pretty well stocked but there are certain things that I am missing like loaf pans and cake pans. Fortunately, mom has both. I made Anthony's Cinnamon & Walnut Zucchini Bread which was so  good. I didn't think we would make it through both loaves but we did! On Wednesday, I hung out with the kids I used to nanny for. Both girls were campers at Camp Greystone and wanted to recreate the camp's famous bread. We used this recipe and we all decided it tasted pretty close to the original. 
source
While I was home, I also had my first baking fail in a long time. I tried making the Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Strawberry Nutella Cake but I couldn't get the cake out of the pan. You are supposed to line the pans with parchment paper but since we didn't have any, I skipped that step. Lesson learned. Thankfully, I cut the recipe in half, so I didn't have to stack a crumbly layer on top. I ended up just serving the cake out of the pan and all my cousins raved about it. 

If only I could spend all my time in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment