Penne Pasta with Tomatoes and Cheese
from Full Moon, High Tide
Yields: 6 servings
6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 (28-ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
2 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 pound penne pasta
2 1/2 cups shredded Havarti
1/3 cup sliced black olives
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in heavy dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, dried basil, and red pepper flakes. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer about one hour until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta al dente in large pot of salted boiling water. Drain.
- Toss pasta with remaining three tablespoons olive oil in large bowl. Add sauce, tossing well to blend. Add Harvarti.
- Transfer to a 13x9x2 inch prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with olives and parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with fresh basil.