Monday, November 5, 2012

What I Baked on Sunday

Getting Fancy
Well, not really. I wouldn't call flank steak fancy, it's just not something I eat very often. My protein usually comes from chicken/chicken sausage or I go without. Saturday, I was in the mood to cook and try some new recipes, so I decided to treat myself to a semi-gourmet meal.

I picked up a flank steak and a Jack Daniel's marinade in a bag from the grocery store.
Talk about making it easy. 
While the meat was marinading, I made Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale from Oh She Glows. I ran across this recipe the other day and immediately knew I wanted to make it. Roasted squash, kale, and a nutty topping - you can't go wrong. I already told my mom we should add it to the Thanksgiving menu.

You could cut down on a lot of prep by using pre-cut squash. I substituted rosemary for the parsley since I had some on hand. Angela tops her recipe with an Almond Pecan Parmesan "cheese" using nutritional yeast instead of the real thing. I changed it up by using walnuts, pecans, parmesan, sea salt, and olive oil. It did not disappoint.
Her picture looks a lot better than mine.
I rounded out the meal with some red wine and a cheesecake square from Ally & Eloise. If you are ever in the Columbia, South Carolina area, you need to go by this bakeshop. Before opening the storefront, Aleka used to make things from her kitchen. Mom would always order her cheesecake squares for various dinner parties/luncheons. You know they are good when Mom brings some all the way to DC. (Side note: I kind of want to be her.)

So whether you are cooking for a special occasion or just for yourself, I highly recommend this meal in its entirety. So good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment