Thursday, November 15, 2012

Beaujolais Nouveau

Yesterday was just one of those days. All I really wanted to do was go straight home from work but I'd told my roommate I would go to a happy hour with her and I didn't want to let her down. We'd agreed that I would drive her car home and drop her off at some dinner/celebration she was going to. That way, her car would be back in Georgetown and I wouldn't have to worry about finding a way home. 

We get to the restaurant, Bistrot Du Coin, and instead of dropping her off, I somehow end up inside where a table has been reserved for the Beaujolais Nouveau Party.

A little background: The Beaujolais region of France is home to the Gamay grape and is known for several wines including the Beaujolais Nouveau. This wine is fermented and bottled just six to eight weeks after the grapes are harvested. Each season's bottles are kept off the shelves around the world until a coordinated release on the third Thursday of November. 

So, we sat down for a delicious dinner filled with lots of bread, wine, mussels, and good friends. At 11:30 the DJ started playing, the lights were dimmed, the strobe lights turned on, and all the tables were pushed to the side for a major throw down. The countdown was on for the release of the wine at midnight. It reminded me of New Years but instead of a champagne toast to ring in the new year, they started passing out bottles of wine as the clock struck 12.
What I thought was going to be a low key evening turned into quite the night on the town. 
My thoughts exactly.
Because you only live once and what else was I going to do on a random Wednesday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment