Wednesday, February 18, 2015

DIY Wednesday

DIY Coasters

I wanted to make some coasters for my new apartment and after doing some research on Pinterest I decided to use this tutorial.

Here is what you will need:
  • Mod Podge - I chose gloss over matte. 
  • Spray Acrylic Sealer - Again, I went with the gloss. 
  • Foam Brushes
  • A glue gun
  • Felt
  • Scrapbook Paper
  • 4 white tiles
I picked up the craft supplies at Walmart/Michaels and found the tiles at Home Depot for 16 cents a square. I also found a lot of other fun stuff at Home Depot. I'm not sure why I have never been in that store before!
Start by tracing the tiles on the back of the scrapbook paper and felt then cut out the squares. Make both the felt and scrapbook paper squares smaller than the tiles. The scrapbook paper won't seal if there is overhang and you don't want to see the felt sticking out from the bottom. 
Hot glue the felt to the back side of the tiles.
Turn the tiles over and put a layer of Mod Podge on the tile. Quickly put the scrapbook paper on the tile and move it around until you get it where you want it. Put another layer of Mod Podge on top. Wait 10 minutes or so for the first layer to dry, then put another layer of Mod Podge on. The Mod Podge will go on white but it dries clear.
Once the Mod Podge is dry, take the tiles outside and spray them with the acrylic sealer. Follow the instructions on the can. I did 3 coats a few minutes apart. Let the tiles sit overnight before handling.

And there you have it! The best part about this project is that once you have all the supplies, it is easy to do again. I made these coasters for my porch:
Happy crafting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment