Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Weekend Recap

On Friday morning I headed to New York to join Mary Loyal and mom for the weekend. They both had to work up there during the week so we decided to tack on a girls' weekend at the end. I was very thankful to make it since my first flight was cancelled and my second flight kept getting pushed back. Fortunately we didn't have any plans until dinner. Once I got settled in, we bundled up before heading out. Note to self: New York in January is freezing. 
The original plan was to eat at Fig and Olive but we decided to change our reservation to Brasserie. We got there pretty early and while the bar was packed we had our pick of the seats. We decided to share a few plates and our waiter staged our dinner so that we started with the frisee salad followed by the mussels and frites and then the lobster risotto and sea scallops. Every dish was just as good as the previous one and we left with full bellies.
Our next stop for the evening was Broadway to see Beautiful: The Carole King Musical. We grew up listening to her songs but I could not get over how many other famous songs she and her husband wrote. We laughed, cried, and sang along. I would definitely recommend going to see it if you get the chance.
Saturday morning we piled on the layers and hit the streets. After shopping at the Etcetera outlet, we headed to the Flat Iron District for lunch. We ate at the Grey Dog Cafe the last time we were there and made a point to go back. It's a neighborhood gem and the wait is worth it. I had the Prawn and Jalapeno Popper tacos. They did not disappoint.
After lunch, we walked back to the hotel stopping in a few stores along the way. Before we knew it, it was time to head out for dinner. ML and I dressed in our new purchases from the Etcetera Outlet. For dinner, we went to ABC Kitchen and had another phenomenal meal. If you go, make sure to order one of the pizzas. I never knew that brussels sprouts on a pizza could be so good.
After dinner, we headed back to the hotel to regroup before walking across the street to The National. We each ordered coffee and split the dark chocolate creme brulee. I wish I could recreate this dish at home.
Sunday morning we grabbed a quick breakfast before heading to the airport. It was a short trip but I feel like we packed everything in!

No comments:

Post a Comment