Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Weekend Recap

On Friday, I headed to Charleston to celebrate May Lo's birthday. We kicked the weekend off with a champagne toast before heading to Xiao Bao Biscuit for dinner with some friends. 
Xiao Bao Biscuit is located in an old gas station and serves Asian soul food. They don't take reservations and the restaurant is pretty small. We ended up grabbing a drink at the bar while we waited. Anna and I tried the Sun Wukong - spicy sweet tequila, chili honey, ginger beer, and fresh pressed apple juice. It definitely had a kick to it. Once we were seated, it didn't take us long to decide what we wanted to eat - Jiao Zi (dumplings), Ribs, Yu Xiang (brussel sprouts), Okonomiyaki (cabbage pancake), Sticky Rice, and Boa Ji (chicken). This is definitely a place where you want to try a little bit of everything so it worked well going with a small group. It was all delicious but the favorite dishes of the night were the brussel sprouts and cabbage pancake with bacon and eggs. I could go back there tomorrow.
After dinner, we headed to the Belmont for another drink and their homemade pop tarts before calling it a night. You can't beat a glass of merlot and warm pop tarts - apple cinnamon and banana and nutella.
Saturday morning, we used Lash's breakfast sandwich maker and gave McDonald's a run for its money. I went the English muffin, Canadian bacon, egg white, Havarti, and fig jam route. It hit the spot.
After breakfast, May Lo and I put on our walking shoes and headed down King Street. We tried hard to shop but couldn't find anything. We ended up stopping at CO for lunch. This may be our new tradition and I love it. We tried the summer spring rolls to start and I had the green papaya salad.
When we got back to the house, we got into the Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars that I made for her birthday. You can't beat red velvet and cream cheese frosting. 
Saturday afternoon, I headed to Beaufort for the Valentine Ball. We went to a dinner party at a friend's house before heading to the dance. I had to laugh when we walked in and I saw that Second Nature was the band. We seem to be on the same circuit this year (they also played at the Hibernian). It was such a fun night and I loved getting to see everyone.
Sunday, we went to brunch with Charlotte and Tyler at Lowcountry Produce. I've had their granola but had never eaten there. You can't beat homemade and they do a great job with everything including donuts and biscuits. I decided that I want to work there especially when they started playing Taylor Swift. 
source
It really was a great weekend and I was sad to see it come to an end.

2 comments:

  1. When did you sneak a picture of the donut!!! Sneaky! So good. I want one right now even though I just made brownies ;-) COME BACK!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it online :) It's hard to believe the boys went out on the boat this weekend and now I am currently snowed in for the second day in a row. And I don't even have supplies to make brownies - healthy or not!

      Delete