Tuesday, July 23, 2013

What I Baked on Sunday

The Perfect Summer Meal

Last Thursday, my dad and I headed to the beach to spend the night with my grandparents. I somehow found myself in charge of dinner and wanted to make something that was both easy and delicious. We decided on tomato pie with roasted shrimp and okra. 

Tomato Pie

Ingredients:

Par baked pie crust
3/4 lb. ripe tomatoes
Salt and Pepper
3 T. fresh basil
Onion diced
1 1/2 - 2 cups grated cheese
1/2 cup mayo
  • Preheat over to 350 degrees.
  • In order to make a good tomato pie, you have to dry out the tomatoes. Slice them and lay them on paper towels to get rid of the moisture. It was such a rainy tomato season that these tomatoes were full of water. I went through at least 8 paper towels. 
  • Salt and pepper the tomatoes.
  • While the tomatoes are drying, par bake the pie crust. I used a Mrs. Smith's crust, stabbed it with a fork a few times, and then baked it for about 7 minutes or until it starts to turn light brown.
  • Combine the grated cheese and mayo. 
  • To assemble the pie, layer the tomatoes, basil, onion, and cheese mixture.
  • Bake for 30-35 minutes until cheese is bubbly and brown. 
  • Let set for 20 minutes before slicing and serving. 
While the tomato pie was cooling, I turned the oven up to 400 degrees and roasted the shrimp and okra. Both were tossed in olive oil with sea salt and pepper. The shrimp cooked for about 8-10 minutes, while the okra cooked for 10-15. 
I think they liked it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment